स्वशिक्षण – Indian Association of Homeschoolers is a non-profit initiative of homeschooling children, parents, guardians and friends. The members of this association include homeschoolers residing in India, irrespective of nationality & homeschoolers of Indian origin, irrespective of location. Just like the idea of homeschooling, Swashikshan is not bound by four walls or driven by hierachies. It is a flat organisation where every member represents the organisation. However, for logistical reasons, we created small teams to handle specific activities of the association.
The key objectives of the association are as follows:
- To act as a unified national body to support, represent, protect & empower homeschoolers (parents/guardians and students) and their rights
- To advocate the right of a child to learn in a healthy unrestricted environment enabled by traditional and/or non-traditional methods of learning
- To advocate the right of all homeschooled children to take the age appropriate entrance exams for admissions in colleges in India or abroad
- To ensure that homeschooled children are not discriminated in any way and enjoy all the benefits pertaining to their age/capacity
- To create & share a resource/ information pool & network with like minded parents and children
- To guide /counsel parents who wish to know or opt for such an approach for education for their children
If you want to know how we came up with this name, what the name means and what does the logo represents then please read the article – What’s in a name.